Magic Mike Trademark Application
When I first saw this Magic Mike Trademark Application by the Male Entertainment Company Dreamboys London Limited, I thought, well someone is about to get sued…..and they still might, but actually, it turns out the neither Channing Tatum, Steven Soderberg or Warner Pictures actually ever obtained trademarks for “Magic Mike” ….which is, sadly, not all that surprising.
They have applied for two trademarks (they are the ones for Estate of Redmond Barry, LLC), one for “Magic Mike” and one for Magic Mike Live” but both only in the US, and neither in respect of films, as such, but rather all this stuff:
|Nice class number||3|
|List of goods and services||Fragrances for personal use; lotions for face and body care; non-medicated cleansers for personal use, namely, facial and skin cleansers; non-medicated skin care preparations, namely, creams, lotions, gels, toners, cleaners and peels; skin and body topical lotions, creams and oils for cosmetic use; skin cleansers; skin conditioners; skin cream; skin fresheners; skin gels for accelerating, enhancing or extending tans; skin moisturizer; skin moisturizing gel; skin soap; soaps for body care|
|Nice class number||9|
|List of goods and services||Computer game software for use on mobile and cellular phones; downloadable mobile applications for wager and non-wager based games; downloadable ring tones and graphics for mobile phones|
|Nice class number||10|
|List of goods and services||Adult sexual stimulation aids, namely, artificial penises, vibrators, benwa balls, artifical vaginas|
|Nice class number||25|
|List of goods and services||Bottoms; coats; footwear; formalwear, namely, dresses, gowns, tuxedos, dinner jackets, trousers and footwear; gym pants; gym shorts; gymnastic shoes; head wear; headgear, namely, hats and caps; hooded pullovers; hooded sweatshirts; jackets; jeans; jerseys; knit tops; loungewear; nightwear; pants; shirts; shorts; skirts and dresses; sleepwear; socks and stockings; sports jackets; sports jerseys; suits; suspenders; sweaters; sweatpants; sweatshirts; swimwear; t-shirts; tank tops; ties; tops; trousers; tuxedos; underwear; vested suits; vests|
|Nice class number||28|
|List of goods and services||Action figure toys; action skill games; amusement machines, namely, hand-held electronic game units adapted for use with an external display screen or monitor; ankle and wrist weights for exercise; arcade game machines; arcade-type electronic video games; athletic equipment, namely, striking bags; barbells; board games; children’s multiple activity toys; computerized video table games for gaming purposes; disposable ticket sets for playing games of chance; exercise balls; exercise benches; exercise doorway gym bars; exercise equipment, namely, abdominal boards; exercise equipment, namely, neck and shoulder supported weights for twisting and lifting exercises; exercise machines; exercise weights; fitness machines and equipment, namely, weights, treadmills, rowing machines, stair stepping machines, resistance machines, stationary cycles; gambling machines; gaming chips; gaming machines featuring a device that accepts wagers; gaming machines for gambling; gaming machines, namely, slot machines and video lottery terminals; lottery tickets; machines for playing games of chance; puzzles; scratch cards for playing lottery games; toy cars|
|Nice class number||32|
|List of goods and services||Beer, ale and lager; non-alcoholic beer|
|Nice class number||33|
|List of goods and services||Sparkling wines; spirits; spirits and liqueurs; wines and sparkling wines|
|Nice class number||41|
|List of goods and services||Arranging and conducting nightclub entertainment events; arranging and conducting nightclub parties; conducting fitness classes; entertainment in the nature of providing an informational and entertainment website in the fields of celebrity gossip, entertainment, sports and fitness; entertainment in the nature of theater productions; entertainment services in the nature of hosting social entertainment events; entertainment services, namely, displaying a series of films; entertainment services, namely, providing a website featuring advice concerning personal relationships, such advice being for entertainment purposes only; entertainment services, namely, providing a website for on-line gambling; entertainment services, namely, providing information by means of a global computer network in the fields of celebrities, entertainment, and popular culture; gambling services; night clubs; providing a website featuring entertainment information directed to those engaging in dating; providing education courses in the field of health, fitness, nutrition, personal improvement and interpersonal relationships offered through online, non-downloadable videos and instructor assistance; providing on-line magazines in the field of dating, and popular culture|
|Nice class number||43|
|List of goods and services||Hotels; restaurant and bar services; restaurants|
So, absent some technical arguments about taking advantage of a well known unregistered mark and passing off, they’ll have an uphill battle trying to stop registration of this mark….In fact, I think it will be impossible to stop it, and they may have to challenge it (if they are bothered) post registration.
Here’s the details of the UK Registration:
Trademark – MAGIC MIKE
- Filing date – 09 September 2016
List of goods and services
- Class 9
- Sound and/or video recordings; videos; DVDs; CDs; pre-recorded television programmes; cinematographic films; downloadable electronic publications; computer software; application software; software applications for mobile communication devices; video games software; computer games software.
- Class 16
- Printed matter; printed publications; books; printed publicity and promotional material; programmes; periodicals; magazines; comic books; photographs; pictures; prints; posters; stickers; transfers; decalcomanias; bookmarks; calendars; diaries; albums; notebooks; binders; cards; greeting cards; wrapping and packaging materials; postcards; stationery; writing or drawing implements; erasers; pencil sharpeners; rulers; adhesives; sticky tape; pencil or pen boxes; tickets; vouchers; paper napkins; paper banners; signs and advertisement boards of paper or cardboard.
- Class 41
- Entertainment; television entertainment; musical entertainment; organisation and presentation of live shows; stage shows; dance shows; lap dancing; exotic dancing; pole dancing; revue and striptease shows; production of radio and of television programmes; film production, cinematographic film editing; distribution of films, television programmes and video recordings; providing online electronic publications; booking and ticketing services for entertainment events and shows; information, advisory and consultancy services in relation to all of the aforesaid.
Name and Address details
- Owner(s) name
- Dreamboys London Limited
- 3000 Hillswood Drive, Hillswood Business Park, Chertsey, Surrey, United Kingdom, KT16 0RS
- Country of Incorporation
- United Kingdom
- Company registration number